Antibiotic Resistance Explained
Reducing the risk of antibiotic resistance is one reason why the MilkSure course is important.
- Antibiotic resistance is one of the biggest threats to global health, food security, and development today.
- It can affect anyone, of any age, in any country.
- It occurs naturally, but misuse of antibiotics in humans and animals accelerates the process.
- A growing number of infections are becoming harder to treat as the antibiotics used to treat them become less effective.
- Antibiotic resistance leads to longer hospital stays, higher medical costs and increased mortality.
These two short cartoon videos help explain antibiotic resistance from a farmer’s perspective. The first one explains how resistance occurs. The second one describes how a dairy farmer can reduce the chance of this happening in the way they use antibiotics.
Because dairy farmers and vets use antibiotics more than the average citizen, it is our duty to understand the steps we can take to reduce antibiotic resistance occurring.
- Video one: What is antibiotic resistance and how does it occur? (5 minutes)
- Video two: What practical steps can dairy farmers take to help reduce the risk of antibiotic resistance developing? (4 minutes)